Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 25/02/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:38:02 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If someone just wants to abort the installation, why not just turn
>> > the PC off
>> > and use a paperclip to remove the CD?
>> >

>> Should that be necessary?
>>
>> And, no, that did not occur to me - I believe that I have not
>> previously, used that method to remove an optical disk (either CD or
>> DVD) from a computer. I do not remember being aware of that method,
>> before your suggestion.
>>

> It's probably not included on the netinst image, but if you have
> trouble ejecting discs, you can use the command "eject" (package by
> the same name).

I wasn't using the netinst image - I was using a bigger image.

I ended up deciding to go into the install procedure, itself, which,
from memory, has "Abort" options through the installation procedure,
and, hoping that would not further damage the system.

When I entered the first screen of the installation procedure, the
first screen being, I think, the language selection screen, the disk
automatically ejected, so I then did a hard crash (hold down the power
switch, until the struggling stops and its eyes are closed and it is
not breathing anymore).

But, an option in the primary menu, to abort, and thence eject the
optical disk, would have been helpful, and, saved about an hour or so.

In going into an installation procedure, with the intent of aborting
the installation procedure, or, going in with the intent of completing
an installation procedure, and then having to abort it, always leaves
me with the concern of possible damage to what existed before going
into the installation procedure.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale