Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 25/02/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/02/2015, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>> The Debian 7.60 LXDE LiveCD does not have an option to boot into rescue
>>> mode.
>>
>> You could always download the standard debian-installer and use that
>> to boot rescue mode.  It is a very good option.
>>

> In trying to use a standard Debian installer iso, and booting into
> rescue mode, I got toa screen "select partition into which to install
> the root system", or words to that effect.
>
> I have 13 partitions, and that screen does not provide any
> information, such as labels or filesystem types, for the partitions,
> so I have to figure out which is the appropriate partition to use as
> the root system. It does not indicate anything like "A previous Debian
> installation was found in partition <x>, so you might want to use this
> partition."
>
> So, I have to remove the disk with that iso image, boot with a LiveCD
> disk, and, examine the partitions.
>
> The laptop computer, to which all of this appiles, whilst being (to
> me) a fairly powerful computer, has an inferior optical disk drive,
> that appears to be designed to be as diffiocult as possible, to
> manually open, often taking uip to 20-30 minutes, to get it to open
> manually, to remove or replace the removable optical disk.
>
> Often, software, including operating system installation iso images,
> include a software utility, that ejects the optical disk.
>
> The Debian 7.8 installation iso image that I downloaded, both in the
> rescue mode, and, in the main menu, does not include an option "Abort
> installation", at any step that I encountered, wherein, an "Abort
> installation" option, involves ejecting the removable media, and a
> message "Remove the <removable media and press <ENTER> to reboot."
>
> On this laptop PC, that appears designed to obstruct manual ejection
> of removable media, software induced ejection of the optical removable
> media, constistently works without any problem.
>
> Why does the Debian standard installation iso image, not include an
> "Abort installation" option (at each screen, although, even, a single
> instantiation, on the primary menu, would help, by rebooting the
> system into that menu, to do it, if that is the only way to access
> that option), that would enable ejection of the removable media with
> the iso image, instead of making this so difficult, to extract the
> removable media with the iso image?

I also note that (after taking about an hour, to remove the Debian 7.8
installer iso "removable media" disk from the computer, that, like
Ubuntu, the Debian 7.6 LXDE LiveCD does not, using the file manager,
show Properties for partitions, and, in opening a partition, to show
its contents, whows at the top of the tab, as the partition
identifier, a string about 32 characters long, that has no relevance
or application, to the Debian Linux 7.8 installation iso image, rescue
mode, list of partitions, from which to select, to install the root
system.

So, after about an hour and a half, today, I now have to reboot the
system into the PC-BSD -> botched bootup -> GRUB, and use the
vandalised GRUB, to find which partition, is which.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."