Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

On Tue, Feb 10 2015,Brian  wrote:

> On Tue 10 Feb 2015 at 14:45:43 +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 10 2015,Reco  wrote:

[snipped 11 lines]

> You really should read the release notes. :)
>
>    In some cases, doing the full upgrade (as described below)
>    directly might remove large numbers of packages that you
>    will want to keep. We therefore recommend a two-part upgrade
>    process: first a minimal upgrade to overcome these conflicts,
>    then a full upgrade as described in Section 4.4.6, “Upgrading
>    the system”.
>
>    To do this, first run:
>
>    # apt-get upgrade
>
>    This has the effect of upgrading those packages which can be
>    upgraded without requiring any other packages to be removed
>    or installed.

Done and got a new shiny Jessie 8 without any problems....so far.

>> > - From the running X session, unless you're know what you're doing.
>>
>> Why?  Then how do I upgrade?  I'm usually in the KDE desktop terminal
>> when I try all this.  If I'm supposed to do without X, how do I go to
>> terminal only login?
>
> Log out of KDE. CTRL+ALT+F1. Then 'service kdm stop'.

Figured this out though I didn't do the service kdm stop and the
installation did warn me over X services running or something during
the interminable installation process which did go quite smoothly.

[snipped 10 lines]

 sivaram