Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> That's odd.  Works on my Wheezy 7 64-bit install.  Always has.  Used it
> numerous times during the initial X set-up/config/shakedown.  I didn't
> manually enable it either. Of course, my system isn't stock.

Perhaps you have it configured that way?

  $ grep XKBOPTIONS /etc/default/keyboard | grep --color terminate
  XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

> Started with a bare minimum, terminal only net install, then built up
> from there, piece by piece, but never installed a "formal" desktop just
> a window manager and LXPanel.

That sounds perfectly fine.  I wouldn't quote "formal".  I would quote
it as "heavy". :-)

> Maybe, the key-combo disabling is done as part of a/any desktop
> install. Don't install a desktop environment, combo not turned off.

It probably also depends upon if you are using 'console-tools' or
'kbd'.  If you have a long upgraded system you may be using
console-tools as that was the previous default.  Newly installed
systems in Squeeze 6 have kbd.  I am still using console-tools in
Wheezy 7 as I had issues with kbd.  In Jessie 8 this has been moved
into the 'keyboard-configuration' package.  It seems to be in the
middle of a slow thrash.

Bob