Re: Can't hibernate/suspend or play video

On 02/09/2015 03:31 PM, JMB wrote:

Hi,

I've been having a problem over the last couple months or so.
Periodically, something will happen and I will not be able to suspend or
hibernate my machine, and it's always accompanied with an inability to
play video (any attempts to play video - with vlc or mpv - ends up in
crashing or just black screens). I initially thought this had something
to do with an hourly TRIM script I was running, so I deleted it, but the
same issues occurred this morning. The symptoms are always cured by
simply restarting the machine but the sickness always comes back within
a few days or so. I have no idea what's causing this so if I can't find
out anything fruitful, the only solution I have so far is to simply
change or re-install my OS.

Some information on my machine:
Thinkpad T420
Linux kernel: 3.2.0-4-686-pae
Debian version: Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u1 i686 GNU/Linux

If you need any more information just ask and I'll try to provide it.
Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you.

How much memory do you have?? I upgraded my old thinkpad r34 to 1 gig of memory. using two sticks. It worked! Plus, I have far less swap processes going on. That might be a problem, coming out of hibernation with a swap process happening? Trouble shooting with a shotgun. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html