Re: Killing X, was Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

David, you just solved an unrelated problem I had where my keyboard settings inside XFCE weren't being respected. I wondered why...

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:20 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
Quoting Patrick Bartek (nemommxiv@gmail.com):
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2015, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Note that X now by default disables control-alt-backspace now.  This
> > is an Ubuntu page but it documents it.
>
> Right.  I forgot.  You're using Jessie.  Another "improvement."
>
> Why do these people need to "fix" things that aren't broken?
> "They" rationalize saying it's to prevent people from "accidentally"
> shutting down X (or whatever) and loosing data.  I say: "You can't fix
> stupid!"

I think X made this change several years/Debian distributions ago. If
you restore the facility in /etc/default/keyboard then upgrading seems
to keep your change. You have had to add it yourself when installing
afresh.

eg /etc/default/keyboard

--8<--------

# Check /usr/share/doc/keyboard-configuration/README.Debian for
# documentation on what to do after having modified this file.

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

#XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBMODEL="latitude"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="caps:none,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

# If you don't want to use the XKB layout on the console, you can
# specify an alternative keymap.  Make sure it will be accessible
# before /usr is mounted.
# KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz
BACKSPACE="guess"

Cheers,
David.