Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Try this:  Reboot.  When you get the black screen, hit CTL-ALT-BKSPC
> simultaneously.  This should shutdown the X-Server and drop you to
> a terminal.  If it doesn't, post back here with the details.  This
> should be a root terminal. Read the output on the screen as to what
> went wrong.

Note that X now by default disables control-alt-backspace now.  This
is an Ubuntu page but it documents it.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace

Meanwhile it can be enabled again.  I always enable it.  Along with
setting a Compose key.  I will throw that in here as a freebie.

  setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -option compose:menu -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

> Ah!  The classic Can't-leave-it-alone-until-I-fix-it masochist.  They
> have a support group for that.  We meet every Tuesday at 7.  Use my
> name to get the fresh donuts. ;-)

Love it! :-)

Bob