Re: incomplete update(?) trashed my system

Charles Blair wrote:

>    Thank you for your help.

  you're welcome.  :)

>>  if you have a lot of packages in /var/cache/apt/archives
>> then you can clean them out and then apt-get will download
>> any new ones you need when you install, update or reinstall.
>
>     There are a lot of *.deb files for packages that I
> have installed.  Do I risk further damage to my system
> by saying rm *.deb?  Do I need to go package by package
> saying apt-get remove (something I think I don't need)?

  it will do no harm to do the rm *.deb in

/var/cache/apt/archives

  also there is

/var/cache/apt/archives/partial

  sometimes partial files get left in there too
(if you interrupt a download).

  the only thing this effects is if you have to
reinstall a package and don't have a network
connection, because it will have to redownload it.

  another option is to sort the directory contents
by size and remove only those that are the largest
to get enough space back.

  songbird