Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

Sorry to Diogene Laerce. I was very confused. And also, my answer
doesn't answer to any question, I fear. anyway:

thanks to this topic I have forced myself for trying to fix a trouble
with Grub, and indeed I have done!
well, my old PC had run a Mint 7, together with a winXP and Zenwalk.
Grub was installed on mint; few months ago it suddenly stopped running
and I stopped using my old PC, too.
This morning I launched a live SystemRescueCD 1.1.5 - another quite
old one - and I found out that the problem was of the partition, or
better of any bad superblock in it. So I listed the superblocks of the
partition through TestDisk I could find in the live CD; then I mounted
just that partition while having changed the superblock.
At Last, I ordered to SYstemRescueCD to make a new installation of
grub in the previous partition newly mounted.
So I could boot mint7 and give a $ sudo update-grub.
this way allows to restore a basic grub without any other tool.
n.b. SystemRescue is based on gentoo and shows a root-terminal so I
didn't need to play with sudo. I guess that any other live distro
could run as well.

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt (where grub is)
# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

that's all. Thankyou very much for being patient

--
linux user #521635