Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

Brian wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Do a CLEAN install to Jessie, if at all possible. There is just too
> > great a gap between Jessie and Wheezy for me to trust upgrading.
> > This way you get it all right, from the get-go. It would be like
> > "upgrading" 8.04 Ubuntu to 14.10 in one go. Do a backup and let
> > /home get clobbered too. That went flawlessly for me. Ric
>
> Upgrading is a foundation stone of Debian. Not being able to do it with
> confidence would greatly detract from its usefulness. Sorry, but, after
> doing an upgrade for nearly 20 years, I would have to disagree with you.

I also strongly disagree.  Being able to upgrade is one of the best
features of Debian.  Since the original poster just recently installed
it is already a very fresh installation.  No need to start again.  If
the goal is to go to Jessie at this time the typical way would be to
use the Stable installer and then upgrade to Testing.  That is a very
well tested path.

> Debian is not Ubuntu (a fine distribution about which I know nothing in
> this regard).
>
> I'm not saying there may not be a slight problem or two but that is a
> far cry from a "great gap".

It would be quite different from Ubuntu 8.04 to 14.10 since that skips
all of the major releases between.  That would be equivalent to
upgrading from Etch 4 to Jessie 8 without upgrading to the major
releases Lenny 5, Squeeze 6, Wheezy 7 in between.  Skipping releases
would be a gap.  But Wheezy 7 to Jessie 8 is the normal expected
upgrade path.

Bob