Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 10:02:15PM +0000, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 16:37:23 -0500
> "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>
> > OK, my fault.
> >
> > A new jessie installation. Display problem so I tried to switch to
> > xdm. When this didn't work I tried to switch back to gdm3. No Go:
> >
> > gdm3.serviceJob for gdm.service failed.
> >
> > Looked for solution in man systemctl, found reset-failed command.
> > Tried
> >
> > systemctl reset-failed gdm.service
> >
> > exit code was 0 but problem was not fixed.
> >
> > tried apt-get install --reinstall gdm3
> >
> > problem not fixed.
> >
> > What to do? Reinstall jessie? Continue experimenting with systemctl
> > commands?
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> My first action would be to install kdm. It will bring a heap of
> dependencies, but if that's a problem it can be sorted out once you're
> running again. On installation, you should be offered the choice of DM,
> and a clean kdm should work OK.

Tried this, desktop window failed to open afer installation.
Tried /etc/init.d/kdm restart and got a message that kdm.service failed.
Same thing happened with xdm, xdm.service failed.

> You can switch between default DMs from the command line if necessary,
> by editing /etc/X11/default-display-manager.

With wheezy I did this all the time. It does switch display-managers ok,
but they don't start with ?dm.service failed.

> I'd probably then try a purge of gdm3 then a reinstall. If that still
> doesn't work, you should have some more information to bring back here.
> If kdm didn't work either, along with gdm3 and xdm, that probably
> points to something lower-level, such as an X issue.

Couldn't purge gdm3 (unspecified dependencies). apt-get install
--reinstall gdm3 works but failes to solve the problem. dependencies?