Re: Epiphany installation

> For me epiphany 3.14.1 opens up normally under normal user account.
> With root account, I see the following display error.
>
> rajulocal@hogwarts ~/learning % su
> Password:
> root@hogwarts:/home/rajulocal/learning# epiphany
> No protocol specified
>
> ** (epiphany:6290): WARNING **: Could not open X display
> No protocol specified
> Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
> Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

Your "no protocol" there triggered this thought. I've (re)encountered
that a few times in last few days. While working through my latest
debootstrapping, ended up in root having to use a browser again to
find fixes for problems. Just tried it via a terminal (sudo su). Am
getting a little bit different message I'm also remembering:

"Please start Chromium as a normal user. To run as root, you must
specify an alternate --user-data-dir for storage of profile
information."

There's a different message I get, too, but can't remember it.
Basically the gist of that one I THINK was something like... root
doesn't belong doing some activities and so is not defaulted to be
able to do so. Games is an example there.

What I've read into those messages is what I've seen echoed across the
Net. Root is intended as a get in, git-r-done, and get out before you
hurt something kind of deal. It's not primarily intended for
day-to-day tasking. It's all about security and/or protecting
ourselves from our own accidental slips of the Fingertips while
working under the hood.

Just thinking out loud because this situation sounded like it has
potential to at least in part be something similar..

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Sid just showed up w/5 pounds of chocolate and two dozen roses.
We're trying to... patch things up. PS What is this "we were on a
break" he keeps muttering under his breath? *