Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 07/02/2015, Diogene Laerce <me_buss777@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> On 02/07/2015 06:32 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Hello.
>
> Hi,
>
>> [...] Now, the request is this; please advise the stepwise procedure for
>> using a Debian 7.x LiveCD, to (attempt to) restore GRUB, so that the
>> GRUB menu is available and accessible and usable, and, detects the
>> installed operating systems, and offers them as boot options.
>
> You could give a try to Grub Rescue : http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
>
> Good luck !

Hello.

Thank you for that suggestion.

At first look, that seems useful for me, for a number of reasons
(including, maybe finding the installed Win8 (nasty thing that it is),
and, eliminating the forgotten passwords, and, resetting the Debian 5
root and user passwords that I have forgotten on a different, very
important computer, so I can maybe update it).

However, ...

At
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
is

"
I am going to modify Rescatux 0.32 roadmap so that it’s easier to
release Rescatux 0.32 even if it lacks some importants items.

 We drop UEFI Boot Support. This does not mean not being able to fix
grub systems based on UEFI. What it means is that I was going to make
sure that you could boot Rescatux cd in EFI mode without a problem.
You will be able to boot Rescatux cd from a UEFI system if the CD is
booted in legacy boot mode (BIOS) but not as EFI mode. The reason for
dropping this UEFI boot support is because of Debian Live for its
Debian Wheezy version not being good enough for enabling UEFI boot
based on grub2. I also do not want to achieve the same result by using
current SG2D and the Rescatux isolinux image as I did in the old days.
I just want a plain isolinux based ISO image and that’s it. I also do
not want to rebase Rescatux on Debian Jessie even if it’s tempting.
Once we release the stable Rescatux 0.32 we would be able to think
about rebasing Rescatux on Debian Jessie which its Live Build package
will have EFI support based on syslinux / isolinux. Not yet, but I’m
sure that they won’t release Debian Live for Jessie without EFI boot
support because it’s a must nowadays.
"

So, the question is ... does it work on a GPT/UEFI system? The above
passage, makes trying to use the application, on a GPT'UEFI system,
sound scary, kind of like flying in one of those big jet airliner
things, with the windows open, and without parachutes.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."