Re: Debian CPU heating up <no apparent cpu activity>

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com> wrote:
Thanks all for inputs

SOLVED !!!

1) The fan is fine in my system. The fan does not run and CPU remains
cool when used with the SSD based USB device but CPU was only heating
when using with USB-SD card based OS. So this is NOT a hardware issue

The problem is that mine is a hybrid nvidia-optimus  (bumblebee).

Now, I had disabled nouveau (modprobe.d blacklisted) which caused (I
guess IMHO) the GPU to be switched off thus offloading all tasks to
the CPU.

The moment I loaded nouveau GPU got enabled and the good nice
neighbour to CPU started helping CPU.
Now my CPU is nicely running at 55-60C as expected. I can hear the
fans spinning down the instant nouveau is loaded !!!

So the driver was not disabled when you tried on SSD? If the purpose was to identify the cause for a problem,  then why would you enable a driver on SSD and disable it on SD; instead of keeping it either enabled or disabled on both? You would keep the system on SSD "the same as it was on SD", so that the only difference would be the device the OS is running on, which would help narrow down the problem and identify it's relevance to storage device used...

Cheers!
Burhan