Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

On Fri, Feb 06 2015,Lisi Reisz wrote:

[snipped 7 lines]

> Unfortunately, it looks as though you may have to .... but had you thought of
> Jessie?

The missus is asking "who's Jessie and why are you thinking of her?" ;)

Sure, I'd upgrade to Jessie

>That might let you have both!  Or is there a reason why you don't
>want Jessie?

Nothing, I just went the latest kde iso I could find on the web for
debian in November last which was debian 7.7 kde.  after a few
upgrades the debian version shows 7.8 on my system today.  A path to
upgrade, preferably a netinstall upgrade would be great.  A document to
read BEFORE I invariably hose the system would also help if its
available somewhere on the debian site.

> Or you could live with what you have got for now and upgrade to Jessie fairly
> soon after it becomes Stable.

All I'm looking for is the following

KDE framework;  I don't want GNOME
Emacs
Rstudio(I know it's a separate download)
Python 2.7 and 3.x
Python package system to install additional libraries
Hadoop/Spark bits and bobs

If the upgrade provides for the bare minimum first and then allows to
incrementally add software (like the LIVE CDs that I found), it would
be gold.

> Or just live with what you have got.
>
> Anyhow, welcome to Debian.  I don't think anyone has said that. ;-)

Thank you, the responses to my queries have been more than a welcome
with people going out of their way to diagnose my usual knackering of
the system.

 sivaram