Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Thursday, February 05, 2015 05:21:10 PM Renaud  OLGIATI wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:38:27 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > This is why , having been bit once, follow the procedure for new
> > > installations:
> > >
> > > - Have the /home directory on a separate physical unit
> >
> > The installer WILL NOT ALLOW that.
>
> The installer will know nothing about it; you install, then once
> installed connect your home CD, boot a live CD, find and delete the
> content of the /home created by the installer, add the /dev/sdXXX of
> your old home drive to fstab, and reboot.
>
> The installer never sees your old /home so never gets a chance to bugger
> it up.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

Precisely Ron.  But now I have added about 30Gb of data to the /home
directory that I will need to rsync to the newer disk.  Ditto for about
200Gb of data in the /opt directory.  The /opt directory is not near as
dynamic in content as /home of course, but it has most of the stuff for my
web page on it, something I haven't yet verified is working.  Probably
tomorrow.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)