Re: Advice on encryption of external disk

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 18:47:55 +0100
Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> Florent Peterschmitt:
> >
> > But, in both cases (with or without instructions), you will not really
> > notice any difference even with a quite old processor, like core i2. You
> > may find it a little slower at machine's first boot. If we speak about
> > Desktop computers. Never tried to setup encryption on loaded servers.
>
> Just a data point: my small file server at home is based on an Atom D510
> (dual core, 2.66GHz) without any hardware acceleration for AES. It
> manages to do about 30 MByte/s throughput from LUKS-on-LVM-on-DM-RAID
> over NFS. Any decent laptop/desktop CPU from the past five years can
> probably saturate USB2, GBit ethernet and possibly even USB3 with this
> configuration.

Thanks. I know I can probably saturate my old USB2 bus, but I was
wondering if there would be any noticeable increase in CPU utilization
while doing so - this is a work system, and I'll be using it while
accessing the encrypted FS.

> My wife even worked with eCryptFS for $HOME on her Atom-based netbook
> for several years. The system wasn't noticeably slower than it was from
> the start.

Good to know, thanks.

Celejar