Spamassassin Upgraded, Now What?

Ever since my 64-bit fresh install adventure, various things simple are not
working, no idea why. I no longer get logcheck emails, for example. The other
one, also maybe around exim4, root, involves spamassasin.

That upgraded a couple of days ago and lo and behold, I began having the spam
stuff actually marked so I could make a kmail filter to dispose of it, could
also change my procmailrc to do the same, that is, if the spam would get
placed as specified there.

However, the day after, the spam was no longer carrying the marks. Manually
starting the daemon did not restore them.

No idea why it stopped working or how to get it going once again.