Re: Advice on encryption of external disk

Florent Peterschmitt:

> But, in both cases (with or without instructions), you will not really
> notice any difference even with a quite old processor, like core i2. You
> may find it a little slower at machine's first boot. If we speak about
> Desktop computers. Never tried to setup encryption on loaded servers.

Just a data point: my small file server at home is based on an Atom D510
(dual core, 2.66GHz) without any hardware acceleration for AES. It
manages to do about 30 MByte/s throughput from LUKS-on-LVM-on-DM-RAID
over NFS. Any decent laptop/desktop CPU from the past five years can
probably saturate USB2, GBit ethernet and possibly even USB3 with this
configuration.

My wife even worked with eCryptFS for $HOME on her Atom-based netbook
for several years. The system wasn't noticeably slower than it was from
the start.

J.
--
When I get home from the supermarket I don't know what to do with all the
plastic.