Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

Neelakantan wrote:
> > How does one go about fixing broken packages?  I've recently
started
> > using debian and apart some fiddling to get the latest emacs24.4
on
> > wheezy I have not done anything on the system.  When I tried to
> > install libcurl4, I get the following error.
> >
> > apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Some packages could not be installed.
> >
> > [snipped 5 lines]

> >  libcurl4-openssl-dev : Depends: librtmp-dev but it is not going to
be
> >  installed
> >
> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages
> >

> > Googling around and checking a few forums with various
incantations of

> >  apt-get with autoremove/clean/install/dist-upgrade didn't sort out
> >  the problem.  I now have no idea how to fix this issue.
> >
> > I have a stock install of debian-kde iso and the current version
seems
> > to be
> >
> > cat /etc/debian_version
> > 7.8
> > uname -a
> > Linux sivaram 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u1
x86_64
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > What should I do please to get the package installed?
> >
> >  sivaram
> >
> > p.s first time user of debian
>
> What happens if you (try to) manually install librtmp-dev ?
>
> Note: apt-get, synaptic, and aptitude have different 'solvers' so its
> good to have all three handy

Also, perhaps it is good idea to check with aptitude why-not like this:

aptitude why-not libcurl4-openssl-dev
i   task-kde-desktop      Recommends system-config-printer
i A system-config-printer Depends    python-cupshelpers (= 1.3.7-4)
i A python-cupshelpers    Depends    python-pycurl
i A python-pycurl         Suggests   libcurl4-gnutls-dev
p   libcurl4-gnutls-dev   Conflicts  libcurl4-openssl-dev

That is what I get on Wheezy KDE.