Re: Debian 7.1 root password issue.

SANG KIM <sangkim8986 <at> msn.com> writes:

> I recently installed debian 7.1 and I reinstalled it at least five
times.  I've tried installing it with a root password created and without
and Debian still won't let me log in as root.  It says "authentication
failed" after I type in the root password.

> I've tried reinstalling it without creating a root password and it still
won't let me log in.  I get the same message as before.  I can log in as
another user, but not as root.  I've checked the passwords entered and
every time the password is correct, but Debian says that it's not.  How can
I fix these issues.

> I've tried to use the password command to remove whatever password I
created/didn't create and I get an error message that the password command
cannot be found in BASH.  Is there something wrong with the Debian 7.1?  I
can't even install updates to the OS.

> Thank you.

Log in with the user account.  Left-click the user account name (upper
right corner), select system settings, select user, left-click Unlock.
Enter the root password.  Change the user account to an administrator.

What a pita!

Regards,
MC