Nvidia Geforce 2 legacy driver vs OpenGL/Nouveau drivers?

Okay, so I just installed the propietary Nvidia drivers for my computer. I have an older Pentium 4 tower (oooh yeah) with a Geforce MX200 in it. Since it's an older card I have to use the Nvidia 96.43.23 legacy drivers. I followed the instructions here for the install: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#wheezy-173xx

After installing the driver it seems like my system has taken a bit of a CPU performance hit. Things just seem a bit laggier, but I'm not entirely sure. Is it possible that the Nvidia legacy driver is slowing down things? I was going to install the Open GL driver for this computer but figured the Nvidia driver would net better results. Is there a good way to test the performance of the driver versus the open driver? Should I purge the Nvidia driver and just go back to the nouveau driver? (btw, is nouveau the same driver as the Open GL driver set?)

I was just trying to improve performance/compatibility with games but it seems that things are slower than they were (Mozilla for example fluctuates from low to high CPU usage much more than it seemed before). Any ideas?