i386 MultiArch: Am I Right or Wrong?

As I understand on an AMD64 system, when i386 multi-architecture is
"enabled" and apt-get update is run, nothing gets installed until one
installs some 386 app, etc., and then only those i386 dependencies
specific to, and necessary for THAT app are installed.  Nothing else.

So, for example, a 386 app XYZ has a single 386 library dependency of
abc.lib. ONLY that 386 lib will be installed.  Right?

This is different from my Fedora days where you got almost a complete
386 system installed beside your 64-bit one -- all libraries, configs,
etc. Only a few system things like the kernel didn't get mirrored.
Almost doubled the size of an install.  Don't want this to happen with
my 64-bit Wheezy set up.  So I'm checking first.

A lot to go through just to run one app that's only available in
32-bit.  But what can you do?