Re: A capability in the IMAP protocol.

*	From: Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu@gmail.com
*	Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 13:09:14 +0200
> I've been using getmail to do this:

Thanks.  I also found getmail a few days back and now use it
to retrieve by POP3 into an mboxrd file.

> I have the strong feeling this is an XY problem.

It is, in the sense that getmail runs in Debian, X, but the
MUA here is in another system, Y.  Discussion of Y in
X-user is discouraged.

For sake of interest, IMAP is very helpful to a user who
works with more than one system concurrently.  Someone might
work with a smartphone and a desktop system concurrently for
example.  IMAP is useful there.

In a simpler but similar case, an mbox file can be on a flash
storage card which is shifted from one machine to another not
too frequently.  Then POP3 suffices to retrieve messages to the
mbox.  If a client system has only IMAP, the question of simulating
POP3 arises.

Regards,                    ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202   http://carnot.yi.org/   Bcc: peter at easthope. ca