Re: can't install skype 4.3 on jessie

Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

>> Thanks for the suggestion.  Assuming you mean this workaround (which you
>> posted in August):
>>
>> - Install the 4.2 package.
>> - start a hexeditor and open the file /usr/bin/skype
>> - search for "4.2.0.11" and change this to "4.3.0.37"
>> - save the file
>> - restart skype and
>> - voila! It is now connecting to the server again!
>>
>> I tried this, but Skype would still not connect.  Does it still work for
>> you?  Maybe they've got wise to this and now check something else?  I
>> also found a string "/contentbundle/linux-4.2.0.0-2374.bin" and changed
>> "/contentbundle/linux-4.3.0.0-3390.bin", which is what I found in the
>> 4.3 binary.  Still doesn't connect (:
>>
>> -David
>
> No, this one is no more active. Microsoft reacted some weeks after my hack.
> But you can do this:
>
> - Extract the skype binary from 4.3
> - start it once, then connect to skype, but activate "autmatically connection"
> (so that you do not unconnect from the server)
> - now start skype-4.2 and you should be automatically reconnected.
>

> Whenever you get disconnected from skype, you can repeat this procdure.

Thanks, that works!

Just to clarify a couple things, in case others see this and had some of
the same confusion I did at first:

1. The extracted skype-4.3 binary does run, but the sound does not work
since the audio dependencies weren't installed.

2. By "activate automatically connect", you meant to check the box
labeled "Sign me in when Skype starts" on the login page.

So now I have skype-4.2 working again!  However, I would still like to
know how to fix the problem installing libmp3lame0:i386, on which
skype-4.3 depends (by way of libasound2-plugins:i386).

-David