Re: can't install skype 4.3 on jessie

Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> Am Sonntag, 11. Januar 2015, 12:18:16 schrieb David Zelinsky:
>> Since Skype 4.2 stopped working, I've been trying unsuccessfully to
>> install 4.3 on my amd64 laptop running jessie.  The problem seems to be
>> a dependency on libmp3lame0:i386, which has some issue with conflicting
>> versions numbers between the :amd64 and :i386 architectures.  But maybe
>> I'm not understanding something.  Anyway, how can I get around this and
>> get Skype to work?
>>

> Before you upgrade to skype-4.3, please note, it needs pulseaudio! If you do
> not want to install pulseaudio, then use my workaround, I described here in
> this forum.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Assuming you mean this workaround (which you
posted in August):

- Install the 4.2 package.
- start a hexeditor and open the file /usr/bin/skype
- search for "4.2.0.11" and change this to "4.3.0.37"
- save the file
- restart skype and
- voila! It is now connecting to the server again!

I tried this, but Skype would still not connect.  Does it still work for
you?  Maybe they've got wise to this and now check something else?  I
also found a string "/contentbundle/linux-4.2.0.0-2374.bin" and changed
"/contentbundle/linux-4.3.0.0-3390.bin", which is what I found in the
4.3 binary.  Still doesn't connect (:

-David