'2' characters, rapid succession, in every dialog

Hi,

I am trying to install 7.7.0 on a Dell Inspiron. It previously had (Debian) 6.0.6 and it ran well. On this install, I could not load Gnome or KDE because they were both too sluggish. I did notice in KDE 2222222222222222222222.... kept popping up in text entry boxes. I tried to install the LXDE desktop and I see them there, too.

I can uplug both the mouse and the keyboard and the 222222222222222.... characters reappear. When I plug in the keyboard, I can press any number and it will appear along side the succession of 2's.

I see the 222222's when I am running the Debian INSTALL program. They appear at the bottom of the screen.

On the same machine, I installed Windows XP and did not observe the same behavior.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I think if I can fix this, it will allow me to go back to the default desktop.

Thanks,
Chris