Re: Unable to join the Debian User Forum; appears that all IPs are being black-listed.

Sorry, Wayne.  I have done it yet again.  Clicked "reply" in the Debian list.
I should have pressed "l" and replied to the list, not you personally.
:-(
Lisi

Hi, Wayne,

Welcome to Debian!   Good choice!  And also welcome to the list.

On Friday 09 January 2015 06:07:52 Wayne Hartell wrote:
> Thanks. I'm sure to violate some conventions here in reply format or what
> have you. Just let me know if I do and I'll try to remedy in future.

You have a basic underlying problem:  Your email client does not quote
correctly.  I had a look.  You are running Outlook.  All I can say is: bad
luck!  But your quoting is a bit of a mess and I tried to sort it out for my
reply, but it is too early in the morning (I am on GMT and had a late
night.).  So we all just have to be patient.  Most of us have been there,
done that and got the T-shirt.  There are lots of super Linux email clients
out there.

Once you are on a civilised email client, bottom posting, or even better,
interleaving, is preferred.  With suitable trimming, of course. (Which I am
not very good at myself.)

[snip]

> Now, the problem [snip] is that
> when I attempt to play an mp3 file using vlc, where that mp3 file is
> located on a password protected Windows share, vlc fails to play the file.
>
> "VLC is unable to open the MRL" (I have more detailed debug output if
> needed).
>
> Now, I have tried a newer version of VLC from the backports (2.1.2 I
> think), and it did not help.

> When I do this, it will work, but I have to do it for every file I add to
> the play list.
>
> Rhythm Box appears to work just fine.
[snip]

> Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. This may
> seem a little trivial,

If you use vlc frequently and it does this every time, that is not trivial!!

I can't really be any help at all, since I don't use vlc and have no Windows
in the house so don't use Samba, but you only had one reply and it didn't
feel very welcoming.

> but it's my first serious foray into Linux, just a
> couple of days old, and rather than run from issues I want to learn not
> only how to tackle the issues, but the processes that go along with Debian
> in general.

:-))

Lisi