RE: Unable to join the Debian User Forum; appears that all IPs are being black-listed.

Hi Bob,

Thanks. I'm sure to violate some conventions here in reply format or what
have you. Just let me know if I do and I'll try to remedy in future.

With respect to reporting the issue as a bug I started down that path using
Reportbug, but noticed that a similar issue (not quite the same, or maybe I
just didn't understand it fully), so I wanted to discuss it first. Thanks
for providing that opportunity.

First the issue is quite minor and I am able to work around it, but it's one
of those things for a user like myself, coming from Windows, that pops up
and feels like it should work, but doesn't. It does work in other Linux
distros that I have tried.

The issue is specifically with VLC Media Player (vlc package) and attempting
to play an mp3 file via network (I believe smb) share.

I'm running stable, so the version of vlc is: 2.0.3 (or, under synaptic,
2.0.3-5+deb7u1).

Now, the problem, and this is reproducible from a physical laptop that I
installed and also a virtual machine (both running 64-bit Wheezy), is that
when I attempt to play an mp3 file using vlc, where that mp3 file is located
on a password protected Windows share, vlc fails to play the file.

"VLC is unable to open the MRL" (I have more detailed debug output if
needed).

Now, I have tried a newer version of VLC from the backports (2.1.2 I think),
and it did not help.

When I do this, it will work, but I have to do it for every file I add to
the play list.

Rhythm Box appears to work just fine.

I'm not overly concerned about the issue which is why I wanted to discuss it
before I submitted any official bug (that would obviously be low priority).
I noticed Debian bug #602985 appears quite similar (it's about getting VLC
to prompt for smb credentials), but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. This may
seem a little trivial, but it's my first serious foray into Linux, just a
couple of days old, and rather than run from issues I want to learn not only
how to tackle the issues, but the processes that go along with Debian in
general.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Wayne Hartell wrote:
> I'm a new Debian/Linux user and brand new to this mailing list.

Welcome.

> To that end I have been tinkering with various Linux distros and I
> have found a reproducible issue in Wheezy ...

Please report it as a bug.

  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

> that I wish to discuss on the Debian
> user Forums, but I appear to be unable to register. Every IP I try I
> appears to be black-listed. I even attempted using TOR and those IPs
> were also black-listed. The problem is I can't post to the forums to
> tell them I can't register. I can't find anything on Google about this
problem.

I for one don't like web forums.  Fortunately most of the real activity
takes place on the mailing lists.  You have subscribed to this mailing list
and so don't need any of the web forums.  Simply discuss the problem here.

> If there is a better way to report this issue please let me know.

Please discuss your problem here.  What problem are you having?  What
reproducible issue have you found in Wheezy?

Bob