Using NVIDIA drivers in Jessie

Short version: they worked for me for just under 1 day. After that the
system won't boot--at the point the NVIDIA logo should be displayed the
system hangs on a black screen, and the only thing I can do is power
off.

I can start in single-user mode, supply the root password and startx as
root. From the root prompt I can also start kdm. I can't login,
though--I get "System is booting up -- see pam_login(8)".

Since the graphics driver works for root but not for my normal user
this seems like a permissions problem, but I can't understand why for
almost a day I could boot the system normally and log in as a user.

I've collected some logs that might help a developer; I hesitate to
post them because they're REALLY long.

Can someone point me to the right person to send them to, or a good
place to post them?

Kevin