xterm choking on compose key input

Hi.

I regularly use the compose key to insert characters. The locale I
use, en_IN, doesn't have a Compose file in /usr/share/X11/locale, so I
copied the /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose file to
~/.XCompose.

Now, most applications work fine. However, xterm seems to choke on
compose key input, and I get garbage whenever I type any compose key
sequence. However, if I run LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm, then it works
fine.

Is there a way to fix xterm, short of changing my locale or writing a
wrapper that calls "LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm"?

Thanks.

Kumar