Re: Debian right for my use?

On 01/02/2015 10:42 AM, John L. Ries wrote:
Debian might well work for your purposes as it's relatively easy to set up and has a huge software repository; but your problem appears to be memory. If your CAD software was sluggish even when you were running Windows 7 directly, it's not going to be better when you're running Windows in a VM. I'm thinking that your VM will need access to at *least* 10 GB of RAM and all your CPU cores (both parameters are user configurable). My usual rule of thumb is that there should be at least as much virtual memory as RAM, so you may need another hard drive as well (depending on how full your current one is). In any case, if you're otherwise comfortable with Ubuntu, then there is no real need to switch, though stable releases of Debian are notoriously conservative, which may be a good thing in your case (as long as you're not looking for the latest features in the packages you install).

And you may want to try to run your CAD software in Wine (in which case, you'll still need to buy some more RAM). It might work or might not, but if it does, then you won't need the VM which will make your life simpler. And you may want to see if there is a native Linux CAD system that suits your purposes, as native executables will always run better than foreign ones, no matter what OS you're running (but I can't help you there as I don't do CAD).

One thing you should look at regardless is what the memory usage (real and virtual) is when you're running your CAD software; you're probably going to want at least as much physical RAM as it's using overall.

Hope it helps...

--------------------------|
John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |
--------------------------|

On Wednesday 2014-12-31 21:35, Cadman wrote:

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 21:35:30
From: Cadman <cadgraf@hotmail.com>
To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Debian right for my use?

Greetings

I need help determining whether Debian OS is the right OS for my needs.

I am a Draftsman working from home due to physical handicaps.  I use
graphic and RAM memory intensive 3D CAD software in Windows 7. My W7 OS
is operating poorly and is expensive to replace.

If Linux is right for me; I need to replace it with a 1. Very stable, 2.
With least amount of configuring and 3. User Friendly Linux OS.

A friend suggested that I replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04,
which I did.  It worked fine until I installed my 3D CAD software within
Virtual Box.  Since then Ubuntu and the software crashes often. It even
reboots instead of turning the screen black when the 10 minute screen
saver feature operates.

My PC System Info is:

BioStar A780L3C Motherboard
AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor × 3   64 Bit
8 Gig RAM Memory
150 Gig Hard Drive

Please respond
Thank You Very Much