Re: Debian right for my use?

On 31/12/14 11:35 PM, Cadman wrote:
Greetings

I need help determining whether Debian OS is the right OS for my needs.

I am a Draftsman working from home due to physical handicaps.  I use
graphic and RAM memory intensive 3D CAD software in Windows 7.  My W7
OS is operating poorly and is expensive to replace.

If Linux is right for me; I need to replace it with a 1. Very stable,
2. With least amount of configuring and 3. User Friendly Linux OS.

A friend suggested that I replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04,
which I did.  It worked fine until I installed my 3D CAD software
within Virtual Box.  Since then Ubuntu and the software crashes
often.  It even reboots instead of turning the screen black when the
10 minute screen saver feature operates.

My PC System Info is:

BioStar A780L3C Motherboard
AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor × 3   64 Bit
8 Gig RAM Memory
150 Gig Hard Drive

Please respond
Thank You Very Much

Dave

I don't think the problem is the version of Linux you are running. I think it is trying to run your 3D CAD software in VirtualBox. My experience with this type of situation is that you may find VMware fits your needs better. It has more mature graphics support.

I don't like recommending non-free software when free alternatives exist (that is free as in speech, not as in beer), but I'd suggest downloading and installing one of the free (as in beer) VMware products before switching to a different version of Linux.