Re: Upgrading from squeeze to wheezy

James Allsopp wrote:
> I've not had access to my machine for a while, and I've just tried to do an
> upgrade from squeeze to wheezy using the instructions found here;
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-debian-squeeze-to-wheezy

Why are you using those instructions instead of the official Debian
ones?

  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/index.en.html

> and I got to the
> aptitude full-upgrade
> part which seemed to hang

If you read the howtoforge instructions carefully you will see that it
says:

  Instead of using apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade, you can
  also use the following commands, but please note that on
  http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
  it reads "The upgrade process for some previous releases recommended
  the use of aptitude for the upgrade. This tool is not recommended for
  upgrades from squeeze to wheezy.". For me, aptitude has worked fine
  for all Squeeze to Wheezy upgrades so far.

Therefore when you are using the "aptitude full-upgrade" part above
you are explicitly going outside of the official recommended
procedure.

I strongly recommend the "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"
approach instead as documented in the offical Debian release notes.

> I've tried
> dpkg --configure -a
> apt-get -f install
>
> but can't get anything to work.

Did you forget to "apt-get update" after changing the sources.list file.

  apt-get update

Systems can be complex with complex interactions.  If every system
were identical then it would be easy to test those and produce a plan
that would work for everyone.  So first let me say that it is hard
because only your system is your system.

> Here's a list of the objections, but I don't know how to solve them, short
> of installing every package manually.
>
> If you've any ideas, I would be grateful to receive them,

My official recommendation would be to follow the instructions in the
release notes as that is the best complete source of knowledge on how
to upgrade.

I will guess that your problem here is some additional undesired
source in your /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
files.

Ensure you have a good system back.

Reset sources.list back to Squeeze:
  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade
  apt-get dist-upgrade  # check removal list carefully!
  apt-get autoremove
  dpkg -l | grep ^rc
  apt-get purge ...
  find /etc -name '*.dpkg-*' -o -name '*.ucf-*'
  rm ...
  dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | awk '$NF=="obsolete"{print$1}'
  apt-get purge ...

Reset sources.list to Wheezy:
  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade
  apt-get dist-upgrade  # check removal list carefully!
  apt-get autoremove
  dpkg -l | grep ^rc
  apt-get purge ...
  find /etc -name '*.dpkg-*' -o -name '*.ucf-*'
  rm ...
  dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | awk '$NF=="obsolete"{print$1}'
  apt-get purge ...

As you can see I suggest cleaning to be very important.  Leaving a lot
of the lint behind can and does often cause real upgrade problems that
does not exist on a clean system.

When there is a conflict here I defer to the official Debian release
notes.

Bob