Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?

On 12/10/2014 01:08 PM, Martin Read wrote:
On 10/12/14 13:26, Marty wrote:
On 12/08/2014 09:12 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Monday 08 December 2014 13:18:18 Marty wrote:
 I would even deign to
give users a choice in the matter,
[snip]
Multi-seat PC and other
anachronisms probably have to go away.

Choice???

Lisi

The industry and its plans for FOSS is strongly anti-choice:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html

It appears to me that you have missed a point which seems to be implied
by Lisi's choice of selective quotes.

On the one hand, you say "I would even deign to give users a choice in
the matter", and on the other you suggest making functionality that real
people are using on real computers "go away".

The difference might be this: I would make an effort at backwards
compatibility. I would not endorse any policy of intentional
incompatibility requiring forced upgrades and lock in. That's probably
where my plan falls apart, but it's too late for the cattle prod version
of my plan. I'll be back as a sock puppet for that. :)

By all means, embark on your endeavour in creating alternatives to
D-Bus. Just remember that to be a convincing alternative, it has to
solve *at least* the same set of problems.

This discussion highlights how people often don't agree on what the
problems are. I'm still stuck at not knowing where to start, but I've
still learned something.

Namely, that although technically all the pieces seem to be there, doing things on this scale is fundamentally not a technical problem.