Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

Le Monday 08 December 2014 09:44:07, Curt a écrit :
> On 2014-12-08, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Actually, it's *always* a surprise.  These fsck happen at long enough
> > intervals, that I can never know if it was "4 months ago" or "7 months
> > ago", and neither can I remember which laptop/desktop has the delay set
> > to 172 days vs 194 days vs 98 days vs ...
>
> Can't you write a small script to obviate the limitations of your human
> memory, like this little hacker here did?

I'm joining in as Gentoo doesn't allow me to cancel fsck and it is a real
PITA. I much prefer the flexibility offered by Debian. If I'm in a hurry, I just
cancel fsck and restart the computer later to let it run fsck completely.

On my Gentoo box, the ext partition is set to scan the disk every 34 boots or
after 180 days. There is no way I can keep track of the number of boots as
three other people use that computer and turn it on when I'm not around. A
script wouldn't help either. What would it have to report to be of any use in
letting me know that the *next* boot will take one hour? Even I can't tell
when someone will need the computer.

Maybe you just have to make partitions. Il your rootfs is 1To it's gonna take 2 hours to run fsck, but if you have smaller partition like
- /        => 10G
- /usr    => 10G
/data ="" 1To, it's gonna take 5 mins.

Just update your fsck to check only / and /usr so you know your system is clean. And you can run run fsck yourself for /data.

So you are in control !

You can't ask developer to handle every single case of your life.

Regards,

Claude

With Debian, fsck starting during boot is the indicator that the next boot is
going to take a lot of time unless I can afford to let it run right now.

Please keep it that way!

Frederic