Re: Installing Linux on a Mac Mini without OSX

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Brian Sammon
<debian-users-list@brisammon.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I was recently given a Mac Mini (Intel Mid 2007) that had been wiped.
>
> I tried to install Debian (Wheezy) on it, and the installer reported success, but
> when it came time to eject and reboot, Debian didn't boot from the hard drive.
>
> Googling finds me various pages about installing Linux where one of the steps is something like "Boot into OSX"
>
> Is there a way to install Debian/Linux on this machine that doesn't involve buying or borrowing (or "borrowing") a copy of OSX?  Is it easier to install linux on a USB disk and run it off of that?
>
> Two particular subtasks that I may need to do that seem to require OSX:
> 1) "Blessing" a partition
> 2) Checking what version of firmware it has (some versions have BIOS
>    compatibility)
>
> Any pointers/suggestions?
>
> I'm also looking into PureDarwin as a possible solution.

Can we conclude that you have read this page

    https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel

and followed appropriate links, such as the elilo link? (Even the PPC
link may be useful for background.)

You will probably have to interpret some things, and not expect an exact recipe.

You may also want to ask on the debian boot list.

And, Jerome's kidding around notwithstanding, questions over at
puredarwin are likely to yield useful information, if it takes going
that far.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.