Re: Installing Linux on a Mac Mini without OSX

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:46:22 +0100
Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> wrote:

> > Two particular subtasks that I may need to do that seem to require
> > OSX: 1) "Blessing" a partition 2) Checking what version of firmware
> > it has (some versions have BIOS compatibility)
> >
> > Any pointers/suggestions?
>
> I will look towards a grub issue, specially if your partition is a gpt
> partition table.
> For a gpt partition table, you must have a `bios grub' partition.
>
> > I'm also looking into PureDarwin as a possible solution.
> >
> Debian is definitely better, do not trust the folks on the PureDarwin forums.

Ouch.

I have not seen any extravagant claims on behalf of PureDarwin.  Mostly just apologetic caveats that it's not quite yet ready for primetime.

In any case my interest in PureDarwin was primarily that it might have a "bless" command and/or a way to query the firmware version.

However, other messages in this thread suggest that neither of those two things are completely necessary.