Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/23/2014 1:15 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 23 nov 14, 12:17:00, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>> What I see missing in these discussions is the vast number of people who
>> don't monitor the lists.  That is the huge majority of Debian users.
>
> I agree that they are the majority.
>
>> Some will get a rude surprise when they upgrade and things don't work as
>> expected.
>
> Well, I will assert that those users also don't customize their systems
> in ways that would matter for the Wheezy -> Jessie upgrade switch to
> systemd[1].

I think that's a false assumption.  Virtually every server I'm familiar
with has some customization for individual needs.  Very few are running
stock Wheezy packages only.  But that's probably because one of the
things I do is device drivers, and virtually every system I write them
for is special purpose for one reason or another.

Even though my experience shows the opposite, I will admit that
experience is a small part of the entire Linux installation base.
However, I still don't believe you can make that assumption.

>> Many will be able to fix those problems - but at a cost of time and
>> manpower.  Others will have neither the time nor the money to fix the
>> problems, and still others will not have the technical expertise to do so.
>
> As with any major transition. And your point is?
>
> [1] assuming this will happen, as it's still not decided yet.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

This is a much bigger change than any release in about the last 10
years.  With other upgrades, virtually everything custom ran fine.  The
biggest problem I saw was when the device driver interface changed and I
had to rewrite a bunch of drivers.  But even that was minimal compared
to this change - which will affect many more users.

Jerry