Re: Cannot make update-alternatives do what I want

http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html

> For icedove specifically, you might also want to look at the
> following user preferences:
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.http
> network.protocol-handler.app.https
> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp
> network.protocol-handler.expose.http
> network.protocol-handler.expose.https
> network.protocol-handler.expose.ftp
>
> If those are explicitly set, they will override anything set in the
> XDG mime database.
>
> Christian
>
> [1] If you want to use KDE4 applications on Wheezy, whose desktop
> files are in a subdirectory of /usr/share/applications, this is a
> bit more complicated; you have to prefix 'kde4-' there, for example
> 'xdg-mime default kde4-konqueror.desktop x-scheme-handler/http'.
> But if you query the default ('xdg-mime query default
> x-scheme-handler/http'), it will only return 'konqueror.desktop',
> instead of the 'kde4-konqueror.desktop' that is the actual setting.
> The KDE4 packages should probably have put their .desktop files
> directly in /usr/share/applications...

Thanks for the information above.  I will experiment with the various
options.  Another problem which emerged: if that old version of Iceape
is installed I cannot install the current Wheezy version of Enigmail
unless I provide an override.  Since I would not use Enigmail with
Iceape the override solution may be possible.  In the short run
however the work around I described in my second post will do.

Regards, Ken