Cannot make update-alternatives do what I want

In my Wheezy machine I use Iceweasel 31.2.0 as my primary web browser. I also have an Lenny version -- I think -- of Iceape installed because I wanted a simple html composer. Unfortunately to have Iceape composer I must install Iceape suite which also includes a browser.

So both browsers are mentioned in the x-www-browser section of /etc/alternatives. The Iceape browser is the "auto" selection, and the Iceweasel browser is listed as a "manual" alternative.

Command "update-alternatives --config x-www-browser" ostensibly allows me to change to the preferred "manual" browser by selecting it. I did so but when for example I want to go to a website mentioned in an email (I use Icedove as my email client) the Iceape browser is still used for that purpose. I tried exiting my user and logging in again -- and also rebooting the machine -- to no avail. Checking the browser selection in alternatives is still the one I selected, namely Iceweasel, not Iceape.

Is there something I need to do to make this change work?

Regards, Ken