Re: forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
> Let's attempt an analogy: if several members of a literature club
> started to use the literature club room to (lively) discuss their common
> interests in motorbikes,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

(Which is also somewhat on topic in the present quandary.)

http://food52.com/blog/search_tag/ice%20cream%20week

http://robertmunsch.com/book/stephanies-ponytail

> I'd hope someone from
> the club would ask them to have these discussions outside of the room.

To each his own.

> [...]

As far as the questions in this thread, however, I kind of wish Miles
hadn't asked.

The options I see are none, unless I can get someone to front me the
bread while I develop an entirely new OS, which would only be a
temporary solution anyway.

My relevant plans? Continue with a mix of OSses, including Debian,
maybe including Fedora again. My workstation's likely to be openbsd
several months from now, but I'm not sure.

I'm debating whether I have time to go bug-hunting in Jessie with
and/or without systemd, but I will consider Jessie as a testing
release even after it is stable. It's clear to me that they should
bite the bullet and say that this time the release cycle should take a
hit, but it's clear to me that they won't push it back far enough.

I guess I can't leave my reasons unstated, so these are my reasons:

Up until around July, I had thought I could trust Debian when going to
the bank. Having the discussion brought belatedly to my attention in
July, and watching how things have gone down since then, I recognize I
was putting too much trust in too many people I don't know, who do too
many things I can't accept, even regarding Wheezy.

That means I'm back to doing business at the bank in person again,
since there is no other OS I think I can trust that far. Maybe openbsd
with very careful selection and setup of software, after I make a few
more changes at the bank, to limit damages when things go south.

Some people will take offense at that, but trust is something you
can't let someone else calculate for you.

My calculations, particularly since I am not willing to explain them,
should have no particular meaning to anyone else. So, if you take
offense, don't expect any sympathy from me, just do your own
calculations and live with the consequences of your own decisions.
That's what everybody should be doing anyway.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.