Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Laurent Bigonville wrote:
Le Tue, 04 Nov 2014 17:26:40 -0500,
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> a écrit :

Laurent Bigonville wrote:
Le Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:57:20 -0500,
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> a écrit :

On 11/4/2014 4:41 PM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
Le Tue, 04 Nov 2014 21:08:50 +0100,
Peter Nieman <gmane-acct@t-online.de> a écrit :

On 04/11/14 19:04, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
Using the threat of forking to make people change their mind
I didn't threaten anybody.

do not send 100 mails to ML's
I didn't. I don't even know what "ML's" are.
That was not directed to you, but a more generic statement about
people talking about forking debian.

(ML's == Mailing List's)

I don't see that as a "threat".  I see it as an attempt to
determine if there are enough others interested to make it a
viable project.

And lists like this one are a perfect place to find out of there
are other users interested in such a project.
http://debianfork.org/:

"If systemd will be substituting sysvinit in Debian, we will fork
the project and create a new distro. We hope this won't be
necessary, but we are well prepared for it."

I call that a threat. And the same kind of message are all around
the debian mailing lists and other social media.

Does it really matter if it's a "threat," or a statement of intent,
or even just a wish?  You seem to imply that there's something wrong
with such a statement.

Given the number of folks who are saying "if you don't like systemd,
go somewhere else," and the tradition of forking open source software
(and linux distributions) over various differences of opinion -- what
is it that you're objecting to?

Personally, I see it as a clear and strong statement of
dissatisfaction that's likely to lead to significant defection from
Debian - to other existing distros, and possibly to one or more new
forks.

What, exactly, is it that you are objecting to here?  That folks
aren't just happy to go along with a major shift in Debian?  That
people are making their opinions clear?  That people won't adopt
Jessie, and will desert Debian once Wheezy starts to reach EOL? That
folks might go so far as to create a new fork?  Something else?
I'm objecting to the fact that they are doing announcement like that
instead of actually forking. That kind of message contributes to the
never ending discussion that is for a long time draining the energy of a
lot of developers (including me).

Oh poor you. You have to hit your delete key, and whine about it. Unlike those of us who have to absorb the impact of changing production systems, and might like to explore ways to avoid that level of pain.