Re: umask has no man page?

On 11/02/2014 at 09:44 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/2014 at 10:12 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>>> Seems to be done, not by symlink, but in the man db.
>>
>> What leads you to that conclusion?
>>
>> AFAIK, if 'man xyz' brings up a man page from section 1, then
>> there is an xyz.1 or xyz.1.gz somewhere in the manual search paths
>> (which I think are defined in /etc/manpath.config).
>>
>> Since 'man umask' brings up 'BASH_BUILTINS(1)' for you, there must
>> be a umask.1 or umask.1.gz somewhere, which presumably either is a
>> copy of or is a symlink to builtins.1.gz.
>>
>> If that doesn't follow, then there must be something about manual
>> structure which I don't even know I don't understand.
>
> Well,
>
> $ find /usr/ -name "*umask*"

<snip>

> I don't see any symbolic links.

...hmmm.

You might be able to find something out from 'man -d umask', and
examining the resulting debugging output... it seems to indicate exactly
what file it ends up using, and what path it takes in figuring out what
file to use. Though the output is not exactly user-friendly, being
intended for debug-time developer use.

(The important thing is not the absence of a symbolic link, but the
absence of anything at all by the name of umask.1 or umask.1.gz. If no
such thing is present, then I have no clue how man is even finding a
page to show you...)

--
   The Wanderer