Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Am 01.11.2014 22:17, schrieb Jonathan de Boyne Pollard:
> Christian Seiler:
>> Finally: Upstart also supports  socket activation. It's not quite as
>  > powerful as systemd's, but is has enough features for this use case.
>  > I don't know the people developing util-linux, but I could imagine
>  > them accepting a patch to also support Upstart-style socket
>  > activation, if one were to write such a patch.
>  >
>  > Or, if you want to: a while back I wrote some code to translate init
>  >  system related stuff between one another. [...]
>
> .. but in doing so you made the oft-made mistake of thinking that there
> are only two service management systems.

Well, not exactly. It's just that those were the top two contenders in
Debian's TC decision, so I thought them to be most important for the
purposes of my small program, so I initially started with that. On my
hard drive I have some incomplete code lying around that changes the
code I pushed to github dramatically to abstract this kind of stuff
(socket activation, notification) a bit more (being more generic w.r.t.
different init systems), but as I said, I lost interest in that because
I got next to no feedback on this.

Otherwise, thanks for the very useful explanations about nosh &
companions, I'll have a closer look at them once I find some time for that.

But with regard to the topic at hand, if I understand your explanation
correctly, something akin to my code is actually not necessary with
nosh, right?

Christian