Re: bc menu files? (Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
> Am 2014-10-29 15:42, schrieb Joel Rees:
>>
>> And that tells me exactly zip about why bc doesn't show up in my XFCE4
>> menus. (I mean the pointy-clicky ones.)
>

> I suspect XFCE4, like most DEs available, only parses XDG .desktop
> files, and doesn't parse Debian's menu system.

Yeah. That seems to be the case.

> If you read through the
> TC bug, you'll see that the current situation is complicated[tm].

Why do people make things so complicated? :)

>> I suppose I should try booting non-gui and starting up a desktopless
>> window manager to see if I can get those menus in one of those?
>

> Probably, I haven't tried.

Someday. Especially since ...

>> Not that I'm interested in running bc from the menu. What I'm really
>> interested in is a way not to lose track of all those cool hex editors
>> and network analyzers that I've installed and forgotten about.
>

> apt-get install pdmenu

Nice. Thanks. (Kudos to Joey for making it, too.) That should be
advertised more prominently.

I'm almost inclined to think it should be part of the default install,
although those who want to get rid of the debian menus would have a
fit about it.

But here's an argument in favor of keeping the debian menus -- those
are a lot less involved than the desktop menus and provide a decent
way to track non-gui executable applications.

> Doesn't even need X11, has next to no dependencies. You could even
> install it on a server without loosing your 'real server admins[tm]
> don't use GUIs' credentials. ;-)

Heh.

Well, I don't find an "Applications" menu in my XFCE4 menus. So
there's no place for the "Debian" menu that used to be there (and I
remember it now) but has been hidden.

So I thought, just for fun, I'd run update-menus as an ordinary user,
and now the XFCE4 "Others" menu, which had only two items before, is
packed with all the debian menu items in one flat list. That was not
very friendly.

I take it there's a developer somewhere that has taken an active
dislike to debian menus and is deliberately trying to make everyone
hate them. (Especially considering the TC bug you mention above.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself.