Re: Conflict of interest in Debian

On 10/15/2014 07:08 AM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 15.10.2014 12:09, Brian a écrit :
On Wed 15 Oct 2014 at 10:41:12 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org
wrote:

Le 15.10.2014 09:11, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:51:07AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>>Check out what single company has 30% of the gatekeepers. Surprise,
>>surprise.
>
>Damned for their success. We want Linux to be successful, but woe
>betide any
>company that actually gets us there...

Maybe you want.
But I think that most users just want it to work fine and
efficiently, which does not necessarily imply being sold massively
around the world.

He's doing some of the work on Debian; others work with different
distributions. They get what they want. Users get what they want.
Everyone's a winner. :)

Maybe. But, when someone tries to sell stuff a lot, to have a big market
share, then that guy must take a large target, which leads to systems
which might become less stable or less efficient. And if that guy want
to keep his market, then he'll have to avoid people escaping his stuff,
this is why vendor locks exists.
Definitely, I hope that Debian won't take that road. It it does, then,
I'll switch. I'm taking a look at netBSD, even if I guess that I'll have
a hard time being successful in feeling as comfortable with it than with
Debian.

I don't know what you all do to get paid in order to pay bills and/or raise a family, but working for Red Hat is not a bad gig. Not a bad gig at all. I'm sure some soreheads think that we debated WORLD DOMINATION during lunch, or how to screw over Debian, but sadly we mostly discussed what was the "Right Thing<tm>" to do there just as we do on this list. After all, everyone at RedHat had been a user first, before landing a paying job.

So, to everyone heaping scorn on RedHat, go here: http://jobs.redhat.com/
...and here:
http://jobs.redhat.com/life-at-red-hat/

If you really know your stuff and/or you fit a need, they might hire you. Secretly, I knew they paid me more than I was worth, which encouraged me to work my butt off in the support center. It was the saddest day of my life to have to quit for personal family concerns. Any of you should get paid to do what you love. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256