Re: [exim4] Testing and making sense of smtp output

On Sun 12 Oct 2014 at 19:56:08 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 02:45:44PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > > And if so, is that not acquired from /etc/hosts?
> snip
> > Egad ...  I just noticed that was from a different machine... but the
> > format is the same on all of mine.  So still should stand as something
> > to critique/
>
> Debian's exim4 will take the contents of /etc/mailname over the dns name by
> default. I'd recommend putting the fqdn that you want exim to use there.

We are talking about the HELO/EHLO greeting and I an becoming very, very
confused. Exim uses /etc/mailname to qualify unqualified mail addresses.
As far as I know and observe it does not use /etc/mailname to form the
HELO/EHLO. Actually, I don't understand the reference to "dns name"
either but am willing to learn.