Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On 10/8/2014 8:32 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:40:28PM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> And how can you be positive your network is secure?  For instance, you
>> don't have a configuration error, a bug in a router, an access point
>> with weak encryption...  the list of potential holes is almost endless.
>
> The likelyhood of both one of those scenarios AND a spammer with local access
> discovering and exploiting them are rather lower, than the risk of getting
> something wrong when setting up SMTP Auth and SSL properly for all current
> and future clients on this small home LAN, especially since the OP is not an
> experienced administrator of SMTP servers. Using (or abusing, if you insist)
> dc_relay_nets for this scenario is entirely sensible advice, IMHO.

Do you also allow your users to log into your systems via ssh or telnet
with no root password?

You claim the likelyhood is low - but are you sure about that?  Spammers
look for such things all the time.  My servers and even my home network
logs show multiple attempts every day by hackers.

BTW - it's also why I have multiple layers of security on my home network.

Jerry