Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:40:28PM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> And how can you be positive your network is secure?  For instance, you
>> don't have a configuration error, a bug in a router, an access point
>> with weak encryption...  the list of potential holes is almost endless.
>
> The likelyhood of both one of those scenarios AND a spammer with local access
> discovering and exploiting them are rather lower, than the risk of getting
> something wrong when setting up SMTP Auth and SSL properly for all current
> and future clients on this small home LAN, especially since the OP is not an
> experienced administrator of SMTP servers. Using (or abusing, if you insist)
> dc_relay_nets for this scenario is entirely sensible advice, IMHO.

I dunno.

I rather think (not that I'd rather it be so) that you're more likely
to have a spammer with local access in the mentioned scenarios than
should there be a lack thereof.

Configuration is configuration, some may be harder than others, but
misunderstanding the configuration invites errors. (I don't see client
configuration as being that hard, myself, BTW.)

Also, he seems to be talking about VMs as much as (or more than) an
actual network with physical boxes on it. 30 VMs, I think he said. So
he is going to be getting practice.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.